My answer to Who is a better combat general – Petraeus or Mattis?
Answer by Abbey Laurel-Smith:
I am highly biased against both generals. So I’d rate both as average in combat.
Here are my reasons:
- I am far from being happy at the way they both treated special forces – NavySEALs especially, regardless of whether these naturally gifted soldiers are directly under their command or not. This point, I can’t over look.
- I am far from being happy at the way they treated intel. under their command in both Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Their command style in both theater of war was predictable.
- They both have a network that was always too slow to appropriately harvest tactical info for proper analysis.
- And if and when they finally do gleam through, intel. by that time was always out of date – thus increasing risk and danger to those who would have to carry out the mission.
- Yes, we all know JSOC is a honeycomb. They both hated it.
- They are professional soldiers, they have been trained never to finish a fight. And if and when they do, they always wanted to fight under certain circumstances.